Pain is normal and real. Everyone has experienced pain in some form throughout their life. Pain can be unpleasant and debilitating reducing your ability to work, care for your family and be involved in your general tasks of daily living.
We have seen numerous people with long standing joint pain or muscular pain often diagnosed with fibromyalgia, chronic pain and chronic regional pain syndrome. Some of these people have been given numerous medications that haven't worked, been told by health professionals that "it is all in my head" and had the feeling that they were treated by friends or family as though they were making it up.
There is hope!
Active movement strategies have been scientifically proven to improve pain experienced. As Exercise Physiologists we develop active rehab programs that are suited to the individual in conjunction with educating our clients on how pain works and providing strategies on pain management. We look forward to helping you move better, improve your pain and get back to the life you enjoy.
Exercise and active rehab for pain is leading to exciting planning for access to funding to active and exercise based rehabilitation programs through medicare and other resources to assist in the management of chronic pain. We will keep our clients informed of upcoming research and programs as they develop Click here
What did you achieve from our Exercise Physiology program
- Good general fitness
What goals did you have prior to starting the program and how did we help you achieve them (20 words or less):
- Just to be able to move, without pain.
How the program works:
- A 30-45 minute initial assessment will occur taking into account your individual health status and goals for the program. We will look to commence a light exercise program following the initial assessment which would all be dependant on your ability. All programs are based on the individual and what they need to achieve their goals. We will guide you on your journey and ensure that you are supported and do not feel pushed or pressured.
- 30 minute review appointments will occur to review your exercise program and adjust the program to suit your needs and interests. The number and frequency of these are dependent on you and your needs.
- You are then able to continue one on one exercise sessions or progress to a group session with your individualized program depending on your needs and interests.
- Your goals, health status and pre-exercise measures will be reviewed every four to six weeks to show you your progress and update your treating medical experts.
Additional useful pain management links:
- This link shows a 5 minute overview on how pain works and can assist you in gaining an understanding of why chronic pain occurs. Click here
We take pride in assisting clients in linking with other free community driven activities and events to assist you in moving to improve your pain. Please speak to your Exercise Physiologist to discuss the suitability of each program before booking with an event:
Heart foundation walking programs: Local area walking groups. Many groups are within 5 minutes from clients homes. Distances vary and pets can be allowed to attend depending on the group!
Thai Chi: Located near Pasadena. Facilitated by the Chinese Welfare Services. Chinese tradition that has evolved over centuries to become a means of alleviating stress and anxiety.
Park run 5km walking and jogging events: A very popular weekly event. Local 5km timed event with various ages and health profiles. This is a self-paced timed event across numerous locations in South Australia.
Parks that contain free equipment: There are many locations across Adelaide and South Australia that have exercise equipment placed in park locations. These are free to use for the public. We are happy to discuss including these in your program if they are appropriate to you.