What did you achieve from our Exercise Physiology program
- Technique to help improve overall fitness, specifically strength and bone density
What goals did you have prior to starting the program and how did we help you achieve them (20 words or less):
- Developing an easy to follow sustainable program I could do from home
Exercise is important for bone health!
Regular physical activity and exercise plays an important role in maintaining or improving bone density. Our bones become stronger when a certain amount of impact or extra strain is placed on them. This means there are specific types of exercises that are better for bone. Exercise also reduces other risk factors for fractures by improving lower limb strength, balance and reducing falls risks.
Osteoporosis Australia recommend resistance training. For example: lifting weights - hand / ankle weights at home or gym equipment with us in one of our locations. Please find a link to Osteoporosis Australia exercise recommendations here.
There are guidelines to follow when exercising and it is often important to meet with an Exercise Physiologist to ensure all of your health and medical conditions are reviewed before starting. Safety is very important with exercise and resistance training.
How the program works:
- A 45 minute initial assessment will occur taking into account your individual health status and goals for the program. We will also review education on how to improve your lifestyle with small and simple changes and a provide a basic overview of your personalized exercise program. This will be sent to your treating doctor to assist him/her in looking after your health.
- A second 30 minute appointment will occur to review your exercise program and adjust the program to suit your needs and interests.
- You are then able to continue one on one exercise sessions or progress to a group class with your individualized program depending on your needs and interests.
- Your goals, health status and pre-exercise measures will be reviewed every four to six weeks to show you your progress and update your treating medical experts.