Regular exercise is one of the most effective non-medication treatments for the management of diabetes. Diabetes SA provides information on how exercise can assist in managing your diabetes click here.
If you have diabetes, physical activity can improve the action of insulin in the body.
It can therefore help lower your blood glucose levels.
Regular physical activity can also:
- Increase muscle strength and bone mass
- Improve circulation
- Help with weight loss and weight control
- Reduce cholesterol and blood pressure
- Reduce stress and tension
- Improve sleep
- Improve mental activity, and positive outlook
Exercise doesn’t have to be scary and can even be enjoyable! An exercise physiologist is university qualified and has the knowledge and skills to prescribe the right program for you. During sessions an exercise physiologist may measure your blood sugar levels and monitor you to ensure your safety and avoid the risk of low blood sugar levels. Our team can also measure heart rate, blood pressure and oxygen saturation during your supervised exercise programs.
It is sometimes difficult to stay motivated on your own which is why we offer group exercise programs to link you with others. We look forward to working with you! Group sessions are often covered for up to 8 sessions under Medicare. Please click here for details
What did you achieve from our Exercise Physiology program
- I feel good. My strength and fitness has improved
What goals did you have prior to starting the program and how did we help you achieve them (20 words or less):
- Improving my blood sugar. Improving my strength and fitness.
How the program works:
- A 30 minute initial assessment will occur taking into account your individual health status and goals for the program. We will also review education on how to improve your lifestyle with small and simple changes and a provide a basic overview of your personalized exercise program. This will be sent to your treating doctor to assist him/her in looking after your health.
- A second 30 minute appointment will occur to review your exercise program and adjust the program to suit your needs and interests.
- You are then able to continue one on one exercise sessions or progress to a group class with your individualized program depending on your needs and interests.
- Your goals, health status and pre-exercise measures will be reviewed every four to six weeks to show you your progress and update your treating medical experts.
We have also included a list of free exercise programs that may assist you while we work with you to complete your goals. Please see below.
Additional free community programs:
We take pride in assisting clients in linking with other community driven health activities and events. FREE walking, Thai Chi and exercise activities in the community will assist you in long term health in a social setting with people similar to yourself. Please see below links to other community events. Please speak to your Exercise Physiologist to discuss the suitability of each program before booking with an event:
Heart foundation walking programs: Local area walking groups. Many groups are within 5 minutes from clients homes. Distances vary and pets can be allowed to attend depending on the group!
Thai Chi: Located near Pasadena. Facilitated by the Chinese Welfare Services. Chinese tradition that has evolved over centuries to become a means of alleviating stress and anxiety.
Parkrun 5km walking and jogging events: A very popular weekly event. Local 5km timed event with various ages and health profiles. This is a self-paced timed event across numerous locations in South Australia.
Parks that contain free equipment: There are many locations across Adelaide and South Australia that have exercise equipment placed in park locations. These are free to use for the public. We are happy to discuss including these in your program if they are appropriate to you.